Shipping or Transporting Game

When the hunt is over, and your hunt reports have been returned, you may have antlers, horns, meat or other animal parts you wish to transport out of Alaska. There are a variety of restrictions covering how these parts may be transported. The following table summarizes the documents that you may need to obtain before traveling.

Documents Required for Shipping or Transporting Legally Harvested Game Out of Alaska

Species Sealing
Travel only in
the United States1
Travel through Canada or
Export to Other Countries2
Trophies Trophies Meat/other parts
Black bear S N/A C, D C, D
Grizzly bear
S N/A C, D C, D
Bison N/A3 N/A D D
Caribou N/A3 N/A D D
Coyote N/A N/A D D
Deer N/A N/A D D
Elk N/A3 N/A D D
Fox N/A N/A C, D D
Lynx S N/A C, D C, D
Mountain goat N/A3 N/A D D
Moose N/A3 N/A D D
Muskox N/A3 N/A D D
Dall sheep S N/A D D
Wolf S N/A C, D C, D
Wolverine S N/A D D
Small Game4 N/A N/A D D

Key to Required Documents for Non-Commercial Shipments5


SEALING: State game regulations require that brown/grizzly bears, black bears taken in GMUs 1-7, 11-17 and 20, lynx, wolf, and wolverine must be sealed by an ADF&G or Alaska Department of Public Safety (DPS), Division of Alaska Wildlife Troopers (AWT) representative. Brown/grizzly bears taken in GMUs 6A, 6B, 6C, 8, 12, 19D, 20D, 20E and 25D must be sealed within the unit, except that those taken in 20D or 20E may be sealed at Tok and those taken in GMU 6A, B, and C may be sealed at Yakutat. All brown/grizzly and black bears must be sealed before they may be exported from Alaska. Sheep rams taken in Units 7, 9, 11-16, 19, 20 and 24 and sheep rams with horn restrictions in Units 23, 25 and 26 must be sealed, it is illegal to transport sheep horns from these areas outside the state before sealing.


CITES PERMIT: Required for shipment of hides, skulls, meat or other parts of bears, wolves, or lynx out of the United States. An exemption applies for unprocessed (raw) trophies of black bear and sandhill crane. Available6 at U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS, Law Enforcement [LE]) offices in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Fee required.


DECLARATION OF IMPORTATION OR EXPORTATION OF FISH & WILDLIFE (Form 3-177): Federal regulations may require this form for exporting meat, hides, skulls, trophies or other wildlife parts from the United States. Available6 from USFWS/Law Enforcement offices in Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau, at the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge in Tok, and at U.S. Customs offices or internet ( Free. For any questions regarding declaration requirements, please contact the USFWS/LE, Import/Export Office, Anchorage (Tele. 907-271-6198).




  1. Minimal documentation is required to ship or transport trophies. Shipping of wildlife requires compliance with federal labeling requirements for any fish or wildlife imported, exported, or transported in interstate commerce (Ref. 50 CFR 14. 81 - 14.82). All road vehicles leaving Alaska must travel through Canada.
  2. Other countries may require additional documentation for importation. Contact the customs office in the destination country.
  3. Sealing is not required for these species. Be sure to return your harvest or permit report by mail after taking an animal or, if you are unsuccessful, at the end of the season.
  4. Small game includes cranes, grouse, hares, ptarmigan, snipe, and waterfowl.
  5. Commercial shippers may be required to file additional documentation.
  6. Availability is subject to change. Please check document availability by telephone before driving long distances.